While many folks complete their Invisalign treatment in less time than braces, it still requires a major commitment of time and money. We think it’s worth it! But of course you’ll want to achieve the best results possible. You’re sure to get the beautiful smile you want if you follow our Invisalign tips.
4 Tips for Adjusting to Your Aligners
Nearly everyone finds it easier to wear Invisalign aligners instead of braces. Still, getting used to your aligners can feel challenging at first. We think it’ll be easier if you follow our Invisalign tips:
- Practice Inserting Your Aligners – We suggest inserting your aligners in front of a mirror, at least at first, until you feel more comfortable with it. Never bite your aligners into place, as that can damage them.
- Use Dental Wax – With no metal wires or brackets, Invisalign is more comfortable than braces. Still the edges of your aligners may bother you a bit until you are more used to wearing them. Try covering the edges with dental wax. If wax doesn’t help, give us a call. We may be able to smooth the edges out for you.
- Switch to New Aligners at Bedtime – With Invisalign, you’ll switch to a new set of aligners every two weeks or so. You may experience some minor discomfort when you make the switch. That’s a sign it’s working! We suggest putting in new aligners right before bed. Chances are you’ll be less bothered by discomfort while sleeping.
- Use an App to Stay on Track – If you don’t wear your aligners for the recommended 22 hours a day, you risk lengthening your treatment. It’s especially important to remove aligners as infrequently as possible when wearing a new set. It’s easier to make it a habit with the free TrayMinder app. It tracks how long you wear them and sends reminders when it’s time to switch.
Enjoy Beautiful Results With Our 6 Invisalign Tips
Once you’ve adjusted to your aligners, you’ll want to follow these Invisalign tips for the most beautiful results:
- Keep Your Aligners In – As mentioned above, it’s important to wear your aligners as much as possible, at least 22 hours a day. Take them out only to eat or to brush your teeth.
- Follow Our Treatment Plan – Don’t be tempted to “skip ahead” or otherwise alter the treatment plan we’ve created for you. Modifying the schedule can affect your results.
- Don’t Clean Your Aligners With Toothpaste – Use a mild soap or detergent to clean your aligners, NOT toothpaste. Toothpaste residue can make your aligners look dull and yellow over time. Abrasive paste can scratch aligners.
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene – Your aligners need to come out every time you eat and when you drink anything other than water. Brush before putting them back in. If that’s not possible, rinse your mouth with water. Liquids, especially dark ones like cola and coffee, can stain your aligners. Residue from sugary liquids can get under your aligners, leaving you prone to decay.
- Keep a Case With You – You’d be surprised how easy it is to misplace or lose your aligners. We know folks who have had to fish them out of the trash! Keep a case handy so you can stow your aligners during meals. In fact, we recommend keeping spare cases in a couple of places like your car, your desk, or your purse.
- Don’t Trash Old Aligners – When you move to a new set of aligners, keep the prior set as a backup. If aligners are lost or broken, you can wear them while waiting for replacements.
Got any questions about our Invisalign tips? Call us at 707-210-0304. We’re with you every step of the way, to address your questions and concerns.